Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm sorry... what was your question?

Last year, about this time of the year, I was talking with a friend about the struggles that I was having with my little sparkler daughter. She was really dramatic (so I thought) and I was looking forward to her turning 3 yrs old because, somehow, I thought things would get better. My friend commented that it only gets worse. I began to cry.

In a sense, my friend was correct. Some of the drama got worse. However, a LOT of maturity took place as well. There was more reasoning to be understood. So the dramatic meltdowns didn't happen quite as often as they had previously.

What does this have to do with homeschooling?

My daughter turned four years old yesterday. One of the things I hear parents complain about with four-year-olds is that they are constantly talking and asking questions. I can say that this began a few months ago at our house. I haven't grown tired of it yet. Actually, I'm pretty excited about it. I LOVE to learn new things. I'm constantly researching topics that I find interesting. [Last night's topic was the American Mafia.] I'm enjoying the challenge of helping her find the answers to her life's questions. Tonight we talked about tree sap. I have a feeling tomorrow's breakfast will be pancakes with real maple syrup... how's that for sap?

Anyways... I'm really excited about this next phase of childhood. What are some of your favorite phases of childhood? Either your own, or your children's phases... or both?? 

No comments: